Things 3 and 4: Reflections on Blogging

I think blogging as a genre must be a welcome relief to many people in place of the structured writing they were previously required to complete in formal classes or in a workplace setting.  The posts are free-flowing and therefore easier to read.  Most blogs and their correlating comments “read” like a conversation.  As far as the writing goes, I believe that when people must write in expository form, they very often feel as if they should use the largest words and the most complex sentence structure they can, in order to impress the audience or to out-do a competitor (as in a debate setting).

Commenting helps the reader absorb the blog post, I think.  It’s like taking notes in school.  By that I mean that when one is an active participant in the learning process, or spends what people call “hands-on” time on any endeavor, s/he more readily remembers the material consumed.  Of course, comments help the blog poster, too, perhaps to re-evaluate and polish her or his initial presentation.

I would like to think there is a blogging literacy, and I believe that most people realize they should do the best they can with the grammar, since these things go out all over the Web, and all over the world.  After all, who wants to shoulder a bad first impression?

Blogging can facilitate learning because it is more enjoyable than many formal types of (required) writing, and therefore, most people are more amenable to spending quality time on their posts.

I did read five of the blogs and liked particularly the one on homework by Mr. Meyer.  I agree with him that it’s not the AMOUNT of homework, nor is it the number of sample problems, but the type that is important.  In other words, some students “get it” in class and for them, homework is just busy-work.  For others who did not understand very well in the first place, struggling with twenty or thirty math problems after class, and without instructional support, will not accomplish their teacher’s desired result of student comprehension.  It WILL create frustration, and perhaps, the student’s permanent dislike of, or aversion to, whatever subject matter s/he is attacking.

2 thoughts on “Things 3 and 4: Reflections on Blogging

1. It is great to use blogging as a tool to enhance thinking. I also agree with your thoughts on homework. If one “has” the concept conquered, no need to beat one to death with hours of additional busywork. A blogging literacy, hmmm. Well, among educators there certainly should be. I read blogs about many topics and have winced internally at the illiterate-seeming blogger. He may have a good point, but it is obscured in his grammatical challenges. I have also read blogs that begin with the writer seeming to be in touch with the topic to have it turn into an opinionated rant. Classroom use of blogging will need to have clear parameters and expectations. Enjoyed your post.
    Luree

2. I am now in agreement concerning the Why Give Homework. I am a math teacher and was very excited to read this post, I had my own thoughts but kept looking at his works. The blog has great info and supported his thoughts. I liked the idea of using all of the instructional minutes that you can. I plan to do just that.
    Good Thinking!
    Gladys